Friday 9 August 2024

Mullach an Rathain (Western Munro of Liathach)








I seem absolutely determined to make the compleation of these Munros difficult. Rather than the traverse of Liathach and sticking two in the bag, no, I decided a wild camp at the Western end would be better. But actually, perhaps I am just prolonging the Munro experience. I don’t want them to run out. And with that, I still have 3 to go, with 3 separate trips to do. That’s ok by me. And this experience was tremendous.

Ayman made a decision to head North with family and we quickly made a plan to do at least one of the Liathach hills. I was working until lunch so we didn’t arrive at the Beinn Alligin car park until 1730. With heavy packs, we’d head up Coire Mhic Nobaill along the track to the bridge then a line up Sgorr a Chadail. It was a lovely if not fresh evening with a wind blowing from the South. 

The yomp up Sgorr a Chadail with heavy packs was tough and Ayman was struggling a little. I should have picked up on this. We found a decent wee platform at about 580m and set up camp. We decided to pop up on to the ridge and possibly grab the Munro before sundown but time and light was against us. We did get tremendous views back to Beinn Alligin but decided to bag the Munro next morning. A fairly restless night ensued and at 0645, we packed up to bag the hill and down the hill path proper to the road. We faced all the elements and were glad to get back to the road, for the long walk back to the car. Can’t wait to return to the other side. 

No comments: