Monday 22 October 2007

Meall Cuaich



Hill of the cuaich indeed. Shaz and I had planned to do Beinn a Ghlo for this particular day but due to stalking restrictions, it was a non-starter. So, after Shaz drove us up to the Dalwhinnie area, we set off on a great track alongside a bizarre man-made waterway. This led us to the Power station and continuing the track past this, we reached Loch Cuaich and the small (locked bothy) beside it. I wonder who owns it, it looked in fine condition. We began the gentle ascent on to the shoulder of Meall Cuaich and it wasn't long before we were topping out on the mounded summit, with plenty of company to try and avoid during our lunch-stop. Lunch was composed of the usual for me but Shaz excelled with Brie sandwiches on finger-rolls. Little did she know what dessert I had in store. We began the walk back down the hill and before completely descending, we stopped for a wee breather whereupon I brought out....Cranachan!!! Shaz's lunch concoction had been scooped by a rather luxurious dessert, if I do say so. However, in the spirit of sharing I insisted she have some although I did forget to bring two spoons. Once I had ascertained Shaz's herpes status, I proferred her the 1st taste where she said "I'll try not to let it touch the sides". Honestly. We bounded back to the car and stopped in at the Old Mill Inn for a half pint (which touched the sides) before making our separate ways from Pitlochry. A lovely day which was bitter at the top and Winter is definitely round the corner. For once, a rather uncomplicated Munro and one to remember for the right reasons.

1 comment:

Shaz49 said...

"Little did she know what dessert I had in store" - since you had talked of nothing else all the way up in the car and all the way to the summit and had in fact texted me to tell me about it the night before, I think I had a fair idea what dessert you had in store. In fact, the best bit of the day for me was when you couldn't find your spoon and thought you had forgotten to bring one. As for not touching the sides - it's a rare skill :-)