Monday 3 November 2008

Creag Mhor and Beinn Heasgarnich




The forecast was superb. Frosty in the glens with a high pressure and the opportunity to head North and take in some fine views. I had decided to go back to my last failure and try again. I had forgotten how bad the road down to the end of Glen Lochay was and was thankful for the 4WD. At 0900, I took off back along the track Shaz and I had been on a fortnight before. I saw people had parked halfway up (lazy bastards) and were cycling along. I got the head down and padded along to the bottom of Sron nan Eun before starting the slog up on to the ridge of Creag Mhor. I was going at a good pace and was down to t-shirt before long with the sweat pouring off me. Once on to the ridge, the objective was in sight and some convivial chat with a couple of boys from the 'bra didn't stop me. I began the final ascent, happy in the knowledge that I was finally going to nail the 100th Munro and in perfect conditions too. Not only that but I'd have the summit to myself for a while. I walked over to the summit and added a wee stone before sitting on a comfy perch and devoured my lunch (I won the competition of course). It wasn't long before it began to get cold and I looked at the descent/ascent to Beinn Heasgarnich. It would be a fair old trudge but I didn't fancy coming back to the Glen and trying it for a third time. I pinged down off the North ridge and was at the bealach before long. However, it's a full 450m back up to the top of BH and so I began the lung-bursting climb once again. Eventually, I topped out on the same part as two weeks ago but strode on towards the summit of my 2nd objective. I arrived at the cairn and again had the place to myself. There is something quite wonderful when one contemplates the vista around you during a Winter's day out on the hill. Time to contemplate and be in awe of our beautiful country. I felt recharged and began the mad skite down towards the road. It took a while to traverse across the broad shoulder and eventually I hit the road (Jack) before running back down to the car. 1500 and a good time for both hills. I drove back home and had a fine Fray Bento's dinner courtesy of my lovely as well as a quenching, compulsory beer. I had now done 101 Munro's and had only 183 to go. A superb day out but there is no doubt that going 'tout seul' has it's downsides too with no-one to slag or laugh at. Hoping for company on the next trip!

No comments: