Sunday 8 June 2008

Hot and cold on Bidean Nam Bian




The forecast was superb; so good in fact that I left any sheep-like material in the car. Andrew, my future brother-in-law was joining me and was keen to tackle one of the 'wee hills' in Scotland. He had thrown down the gauntlet and I was keen for him to enjoy a typical Scottish hill. We hit the car park at 0830 in order to beat the hordes and began our walk up to Coire nan Lochan. It was a pleasant meander but I still felt the legacy of the Ben Lomond race and was probably not walking to my partner's comfort. Andrew revelled in the shites for shore eyesh and was snap-happy with new camera. We eventually got onto the ridge up to Stob Coire Nan Lochan and once we topped out, the view was utterly amazing. The steep buttress of Bidean ahead, a sweep round to Loch Linnhe and beyond and Sgreamhach in the distance. We decided to have lunch here and I brought out 2 cans of root beer - how good was that. Andrew had sandwiches but he obviously wasn't aware of the 'lunch du jour' competition. My pasta, cajun chicken-rice concoction won hands down. We got going and began the last steep climb towards Bidean. We took our glory shots, headed down the ridge towards Sgreamhach, then the slippery descent to the Hidden Valley. We both 'glissaded' down the snow slope, which was much fun and then once at the foot of the Hidden Valley, Andrew decided to take a dip in a wee pool. I knew he was daft but allowed him to proceed. As he submerged himself, he shouted "Aaaah, this is just.....freaking freezing!" He departed the lochan tout de suite with no lack of haste and no crotch. After I had tested the watter (fecking baltic), we dried off and headed back to the car. It truly was a majestic day and one to remember.

2 comments:

onesurfboards said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
onesurfboards said...

Kevin, your a mountain goat! And your lunch concoction did not beat my protien laden super meal. No chance! Your "meal" was fit for only a goat. When are we gonna go up another wee Hill, i had a blast?