Friday 20 June 2008

Who let the dog out on Glas Tulaichean?


Not a thinly veiled reference to the classic pop song of 2005 but having parked at the Spittal of Glenshee, I began my walk up towards Glas Tulaichean and as I began to relax and enjoy the great outdoors, a barking voice shouted "Wherever you're going, it's the wrong way." A large woman approached and continued on "I don't understand why walkers with maps get mixed up with the wrong glen." At first, I thought it was Colin Montgomerie in drag and so I didn't respond as convincingly as I should have. Who did this woman think she was? Hadn't she heard of Pud and his Munro efforts, maps or nae maps? I thanked her for re-directing me towards the right glen and spent the next hour trying to calm down. As I meandered along the old rail-track which leads to the old and crumbling Glenlochsie lodge, I spotted the terrible path behind the lodge. It was a complete eyesore and clearly had been used to good effect in carrying the higher echelons in society to do a spot of shooting, in their Lend Rovas. Indeed, what was a proletarian like myself doing out here? I was not worthy. I sped up the A6 in quick time and spotted my target in the distance and had the pleasure of seeing 3 deer running across the path in front of me. Beinn a Ghlo was off in the distance and I could see Carn an Righ. As I summitted, I chilled out and had some lunch - a rather poor effort of Mother's Pride sandwiches, with jam and peanut butter (organic!). Within minutes, the clag moved in and I could see bugger all. It was 1500 and I had said i'd be at my B&B for 1700 so decided to leave the 2nd peak for another time as I had a big hillday planned the next day. The descent was uneventful and a relaxing walk out was only marred by a golden lab running up to me and barking in a non-friendly manner. Deja-ju....

No comments: