Sunday 1 April 2012

Creag Meagaidh - majestic and apt medication



Was invigorated after a 4 day trip to Iceland (not with the mums though) and had taken in some of the most wonderful scenery ever. I was quite sad coming back to Scotland after the spectacular beach at Vik in the South. I needed a great Scottish mountain to cheer me up and as the day was warm and sunny, Creag Meagaidh was the medication. I set off quite late in the day but the sun followed (and roasted) me through Coire Ardair. The cliffs, lochan and remarkable nature of that glacial cleft never fails to amaze me. It is one of the best coires in Scotland. My plan was to grab the summit then return over the South side of the cliffs and take in a couple of airy shots. I wasn't to be disappointed. Taking Meagaidh in from this angle, really does it justice and I sat out on a couple of the airy tops beside some small cairns, erected by the more courageous (or daft). At this point, a partner in crime would be useful but I wasn't going to try a 10-second shot and run for the vertiginous perch just in case I flew off the end - what a photo that would be. The trek back to the car felt like a bit of an anti-climax after the grandeur of what had gone before but I still had the Walkhighlands meet to look forward to. Furthermore, the Vik inhaler was no longer needed - Scotland isn't a bad place after all, is it?

No comments: