Friday 18 May 2012

Beinn Sgritheall jaunt

As I was due to head up to Skye for a week in the Cuillin, I fancied this hill and the two Corbetts beside it as a nice little route. Typically, the further I drove, the worse the weather became. It had been blue skies the whole way to Kintail but then it changed. I drove down the long road to Arnisdale and eventually parked quite late at 1300. I decided to park on the small jetty area, which would leave a short walk once off Sgritheall. I headed past the private estate and on into the glen before ascending the zig-zag track on to the Graham, Beinn Clachach. Had I known this was a Graham, I would have added it to the triumvirate but I'll take it in from the Loch Hourn side in years to come. The first Corbett of the day, Beinn nan Caorach comes into view and it is a little uninspiring. The slog up its South face has little to commend it and I just felt funny and apathetic for much of the first hour. What was wrong with me? Once up on the summit, I had a nice view over to Beinn na-h-Eaglaise and the main meal was just hidden in cloud. The climb up Beinn Sgritheal looked very steep from here. I descended towards the grassy basin at 600m and contoured round and then up the steep North incline. The views from the 2nd hill were fantastic but still Sgritheall wouldn't show its top. It looked ominously dark. The SMC book describes the descent off Eaglaise as being incredibly steep and tricky - it is. I was glad to get down to the bealach and had a wee bit of food, while keeping out of the bitterly cold wind. Is this May? I soon warmed up with the climb up the Munro and while it was a good ascent to 800m, the last 100m were a nightmare. The scree-filled path was slippy and with wet snow, it would claim a part of my flesh before the day was out. Unfortunately, I only had fleeting glimpses down to Loch Hourn but it looked beautiful. The last 75m up to the summit were in flag and finally to the broken trig point. I had a bottle of Fentimans ginger beer and it made my day. The descent back down to the bealach was interrupted by a few curses as I slipped and cut my hand. I had never been so glad to get back off a hill, as these are a nightmare in wet slush conditions. My walk back to Arnisdale was quick and i did the whole route in 5.5 hours, which was a good time. All that remained was the drive to Portree, before a fire, food and bed. A weird day.

No comments: