Friday 18 May 2012

Bruach na Frithe and Am Basteir

201 Munros and not a single hill on Skye. This would just not do. Daz, Scott, Derek and I travelled round to the Carbost road and parked up the road from the Slig. The path across to the Bealach a Mhaim was great and afforded us a quick romp over to the Fionn Choire. Scott pummelled his way up to 600m and we all huffed and puffed - a fell-runner and his fitness was to be admired. We then made our way on to the ridge and began the climb, just as the weather cleared and afforded us our first proper views of the Cuillin. Dramatic and we were all amazed. As the ridge narrowed and became more exposed, our sense of fun grew. We could now see Am Basteir, and climbers who were dwarfed by the peaks. There had been nothing like this in all my Munro days. It really was that dramatic. We topped out at the trig point and had some lunch away from some miserable hits - even Darren was embarrassed by their being English and not even saying 'howdo'. Rather than return the way we came, we meandered over to Sgurr a Fionn Coire and climbed that. Daz was keen to add in Am Basteir - how though? We dropped on to the bealach nan Lice and cut down steep scree slopes to the South of our intended peak. This entailed a re-ascent over a very awkward and exposed 'chimney' - it took us about 20 minutes to get up this and at one point, both Darren and Derek were on very exposed holds. I had a terrible thought that one or both would slip and how the fuck would I explain it to their respective partners. We managed though and our ascent on to Am Basteir was exhilarating. The summit is very isolated and no place for those without a head for heights. Our return was via the Basteir gorge though not before Daz and Scott had a look at the Western face of Sgurr nan Gillean. I told them to go for it but it looked impossible to me and I stated so. I had decided we had been lucky enough with the 'chimney'
although Darren felt that was being negative. Maybe it was, but it was important for me to make the point, whether it was perceived as being negative or not. I was comfortable in my decision to head down and I waited for the others to meet me at the base of the coire. The walk out was quick and we got back to the car just before the rain came on. A truly superb day and quite an introduction to the Cuillin.

No comments: