Monday 3 June 2013

Gairich - when 5 becomes 1

I had originally planned to do the Five sisters with an American couple and this would have been a point-to-point with 2 cars. As they had been ruled out by fatigue and blisters, I was left on my tod but with a high pressure due, there was no way I was going to miss out on a Munro sojourn. I had decided a while back that Gairich would be my next Munro. With 61 left to do and with Mull due in a fortnight, there was no obvious reasoning for this except that it was relatively easy to get to and promised to be a shortish day but with prime views. In those aspects, it more than lived up to expectations. It's a fair old drive to bag a solitary hill but one which I enjoyed. I parked at the dam for 0920 and already the heat was evident. I had read that the approach was boggy and I was glad that the relatively decent summer had dried it to some extent. It was still of quagmire proportions however. Once past the small hump at 310m, the track actually descends to a gate. Gairich over the loch is an outstanding view but it was to get better. The easy climb up to point 568 offers ascent but without the steepness of some other hills. This was especially welcome as was the breeze which skimmed off Loch Quoich. I had a wee breather and a fine piece before the steep ascent up the zig-zag path, which was excellent. A short scramble was good fun and provided interest aside from the dramatic drops into the coire. I was at the summit 2 hours and 20 minutes after starting out and the views over to Knoydart were incredible. That whole area looks very rugged and I can't wait to have an experience in that area in the next 12 months. Just before I started my return, I opened a Snickers bar and won a free Snickers bar. Yeay!


My descent back to the car took less than 2 hours and it was a fine wee day oot. Sixty to go.

No comments: