Wednesday 28 February 2007

Ben Chonzie


How you pronounce this is entirely up to you - Ben Y-Hone or Honzie and there are two ways to climb the hill in a'. I recommend the one we didn't do. However, Emma (my lovely) and I decided to head up via Loch Turret, which involved a nice walk in until we started the climb up towards the main ridge. This being Emma's first Munro, I hadn't realised that she would curse, swear and generally slag me off for lulling her into coming along. I decided never to come walking with her again but once she had seen a Ptarmigan fly out of the the undergrowth and induce an MI in ME, she lightened up somewhat. A walk along the posts ultimately led to the summit and a typically Scottish day on the hill yielded a rather unfulfilling photo - Em proud after her 1st Munro. We decided to walk back along the ridge above the Loch and we saw many wild hares on our way back to the car. Apparently the other route is much more straightforward. A lot of people slag this hill off and call it boring and while it lacks character of some of the classics, it's a great wee hill to do in Winter or on a shorter spring/autumn day.

No comments: