Saturday 10 March 2007

The Glen Lyon 4


The next day, I drove down the A9 and along Glen Lyon to Invervar. I parked about 500m past the village and walked back towards the red phone box to let Emma know I was starting my walk. I wasn't entirely clear where to start because a large horse was behind a gate but once I'd negotiated my way past the beast, I walked up through the woods and followed a path, alongside the burn. The flies were nae real. However, once I'd crossed the burn and padded up the grassy slopes towards the 1st Munro of the day, Carn Gorm. This is quite a slog of a hill but it does afford great views across the Glen Lyon range and to the Ben Lawers hills and you do go past some weird posts with stuff tied on - perhaps for the deer? Everytime you think you're going to find the summit over the brow, it's another incline until eventually you do come to the OS trigpoint, which is on its side. I took 5 minutes here to get my breath back and then ran down and up past An Sgorr and on to the 2nd Munro of the day, Meall Garbh. A strange summit cairn consisting of old fence posts and rocks. Rather unsightly to be honest. From here, it was a good high level walk along to Carn Mairg, a bouldery summit. From here, it's quite a sharp descent past the crags and along to the bealach before the 4th and final hill of the day, Meall Nan Aighean. From here, follow the path over to the peak, just 200m further SW and then from here follow the path down towards the forest, where you start from - great for pegging it down the hill. Once back at Invervar, a great feeling of satisfaction is had - I would defo do these 4 again.

No comments: