Monday 5 March 2007

Stob Binnein and Ben More


It took me a wee while to get over the death of Bish and as such, I waited until Winter was past before contemplating heading back on to the hill again. When I did, I headed out past Crianlarich and drove down the A85 to the side of the road beside the imposing Ben More. Instead of tackling it head on via it's North face (very unrelenting), I decided to go up by the stream and instead headed for the bealach, which separates Ben More from Stob Binnein. Once on the bealach, I opted for SB first and headed into the cloud. Now, until this point I'd never had a cloud inversion before but as I began to emerge on to the summit, I felt the heat of the sun on my brow and once I attained the top, a look back showed a few of the big hills poking through, including Ben More - it was fantastic. I sat and chilled at the top for 10 minutes enjoying the peace before the descent down to the bealach and then back up Ben More - the summit here was a lot more rocky and I by this time, it was getting on to lunch-time - and busy. I raced down the route I had come up and by the time I got back to the car, it had turned into a fine day. An excellent day on the hill and one I really savoured.

No comments: